Monday, January 28, 2013

Holiday Hiatus and Single Life

The problem with the holidays (besides Christmas music -- ugh, so glad that's over with) is that it's the perfect time of the year to just... do nothing. Mix in the fact that my husband was out of town for the entire month of December, and the gym where I work at slowed down to a screeching halt, and you've got the perfect cocktail for letting all motivation just pass you by, without so much as a flicker in your very brown eyes. 

Basically, for the four weeks I was on my own, I was a bachelor. I didn't use my stove once; in fact, I didn't use any dishes other than a bowl and spoon. The dishwasher held clean dishes in it from before I dropped my husband off at the airport, and they remained there until a week after he returned home. I didn't eat dinner til 11 o'clock at night, and dinner was really more or less a midnight snack. My routine would generally consist of getting home from work late, watching multiple reruns of Workaholics, showering, and then realizing it had been 10 hours since my last meal. So, I would take that one bowl, wash it out, fill it with cereal, grab my spoon, pop up onto the top of the kitchen counter, cross my legs Indian-style, and dig in. Let me tell you, there's no greater freedom than knowing there's no one around to judge you in the moment of being a 26-year-old, well-educated female, sitting with her feet on the counter-top, eating a bowl of Apple Jacks.

When I wasn't indulging in children's cereal, I was meeting friends out for dinner, drinks, and movies. Unfortunately, none of the movies were ones that were on my IMDB top 250 list. I did see Django Unchained, which is on the newly updated IMDB top 250 list, so I still consider that to be a win.   I got my friend Carl hooked on Workaholics and we'd have marathons of watching that show, wishing our lives could be as ridiculous, and realizing in some ways, they already are.

As for hiking progress, none was made in December. Kaity and I still worked out separately in the gym, but no trails were marked by us once. We didn't let this fact get us down too much, as we realized we were kind of at a standstill due to the weather. A lot of parks and trails were closed down because of the snow, and let's face it, we welcomed the break to be a little lazy for a few weeks. Now that January has come around, we're ready to get back out there. We have already hiked Mary's Peak again in the snow... in snowshoes (blog to come), and we're planning on doing it again next weekend. I'm back to eating properly -- at a table, in a chair -- and sleeping in a bed like a normal person (I had stayed up watching TV and would fall asleep on the couch most nights of the week). Having to share everything again (bed, TV, meals, bathroom) was quite the blow, but I guess it had to end sometime. It's good to be back on a routine/schedule now, though that doesn't mean you still won't catch me on the kitchen counter just hanging out. The world is my jungle gym, what can I say?


No comments:

Post a Comment